Saturday, February 2, 2013

day 15: an auditor and a red-head walk into an audition room

Auditioning technique is something I don't have. However, the entire reason for my lengthy stay here in Los Angeles is to eventually be working full-time as an actor. Auditioning is inherently a part of that plan so today I'm auditing a class that's know for teaching how to get the proper tools in my audition tool belt. Billy O'Leary is a working actor in the industry with energy so high it make me want to sit up straight. His class is open for actors to come and visit and get a feel for the process of auditioning, and to essentially gain the confidence one needs to walk into an audition room and knock people's socks off. I know that's what I want to do, so I listen with perky ears and soak it all in while having fun at the same time. When class is over, I speak to Billy privately about payment options and he encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing because it's working. He calls me a star, and I know he's not blowing smoke because spend two hours in the room with the guy and you just know that he doesn't blow smoke. I am humbled, and excited, and a little on the moon as I leave.

I don't understand why we are conditioned to not take compliments, or to not take them well... or to say things in response out of some false humility as if we're not worth it, not worth your positive thoughts or your encouraging truths about us. I say discern it, accept it if the discernment proves it valid, embrace it, and move on. We can certainly take criticism, whether disguised as "constructive" or otherwise, and in the oh-so-constant battle of the mind, it can gestate within us like a vile plague, invading thoughts and preventing movements towards our affirmed callings. This has to stop. We have to learn how to just say "thank you" from the bottom of our hearts and hope that God reveals to us our worth, not man.

Although, today, through his f-bombs and his severe attention deficiency, Billy O'Leary made me feel pretty darn good about myself.

No comments: