I wake up looking forward to meeting with the lovely ladies of our small group. The atmosphere is open, the coffee is good, and the muffins are just right. We meet weekly on Tuesday mornings and enjoy conversation about anything and everything together. These women are mostly in the entertainment industry, some who've been there and done that, some who have been called to Hollywood but they aren't sure what their purpose is yet. I fit in, and I feel comfortable being honest and open and I hope by sharing my heart that other women will share theirs. We talk about the battles that rage in our carnal mind that war with our spiritual mind, and how to win those battles.
In the evening begin my first acting class ever with John Kirby, a coach here who is known as the "actors' guardian angel" and has worked intimately with award-winning actors such as Jeff Bridges, Jim Caviezel and Cameron Diaz. He's an incredibly kind man and I am honored to be working with him. We are number eight in the line-up of going on stage and acting out our scene from Mamet's "Boston Marriage." I sit in the second to last row and am nervously going over my lines under my breath and instead of being able to devote my full attention to my classmate's performances, I find that I'm distracted by my inability to remember the ridiculous lines verbatim with whom I have a love/hate relationship. As our turn approaches, I am reminded that this is not a performance. This is not about what the class thinks, it's about the process for me... the brain muscle being exercised... the release of the fear of man. John Kirby sits in the back and laughs at the punch-lines, affirming we are entertaining in the least. The scene goes well and the feedback helps me relax and I'm relieved that the "first" is over.
No comments:
Post a Comment