Monday, February 23, 2009

Simplicity is Freedom

I've gone through my closets again. I did a big wipe out of around 4 garbage bags full of clothes before I moved to Switzerland and now I'm realizing I still wear only half of what I brought with me. I did better this time discarding the things I haven't worn in a year or so. The wardrobe for winter now boils down to around ten tops, mostly cotton solid things, and five pairs of jeans and pants. The business wardrobe is the same, untouched and hopeful. I still have my collection of dresses and fun dress up things, but considering I collect nothing else this shouldn't become a problem. I find I can be more creative when I have a limited amount of things to chose from. Dressing simply really helps simplify my life. Maybe this is a faze. Three out of ten of the shirts have holes in them, and while I could certainly afford to spend my grocery money on a shirt, I chose to wear the ones with the holes. I have priorities. Holes are in fashion anyway.

I am experiencing the liberation of simplicity. The layers are coming off, and my reflection isn't what it use to be. Many women at 23 can say the same thing. It's a universal understanding among women that time changes everything about what we see when we look at ourselves. What is even more beautiful is that in time, we are able to see a reflection of ourselves as how our holy father perceives our beautifully aging heart. I hope to have only lived around a fifth of my life, and I cannot imagine the transformations God has planned for me... the transformations towards simplicity, towards stillness, towards inward sanctification. Can sanctification exist without first taking a step towards inward and external simplicity?

What my spirit desires and what my flesh desires are two very different things, so it as become important for me to reconcile the two and distinguish between enjoying creation (scripture often speaks of creation is good and is to be enjoyed) and having too many "things" that hold no weight after life. Richard J. Foster writes in his book Celebration of Discipline "Simplicity is the only thing that sufficiently reorients our lives so that possessions can be genuinely enjoyed without destroying us. Without simplicity we will either capitulate to the "mammon" spirit of this present evil age, or we will fall into an un-Christian legalistic asceticism. Asceticism makes an unbiblical division between a good spiritual world and an evil material world and so finds salvation in paying as little attention as possible to the physical realm of existence."

I think of the Amish and I am so inspired by their discipline towards a simple way of life.  There are times when I think it would be easier if I had been born into an Amish community but I soon realize that I am exactly where I am suppose to be, and so are they. To make order in my mind from all the questions that arise, I think of the verse in Matthew where Jesus speaks directly about us not worrying about what we are to eat or drink or wear, but to first seek God and these things will be added unto us.  It is where I store my treasures, either in heaven or on Earth, that speaks the value of what I attain. 

Because many of us are experiencing the liberation God brings through simplicity we are once again singing an old Shaker hymn:

'Tis the gift to be simple
'Tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight

When true simplicity is gained
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight
'Till by turning, turning we come round right.


1 comment:

Hudson Atwell said...

this comment smiles and waves in your post's shadow. : D

Your friend Hudson