Friday, November 13, 2009

A Busy Time of Sorts

Although I'd like to hold on to "Autumn" as long as possible, it seems as though the hard face of winter has begun to show itself. After looking endlessly from shop to shop for the perfect sweater to accompany me on the cold days, a good friend felt like she was "suppose" to give me her sweater and therefor took it off her back to do so. Handed it to me upright. I was speechless, and laughed out-loud as I gladly accepted the sweater, wanting to explain to everyone that God was answering a prayer as directly as direct gets. He knew I'd been searching, unable to afford the CHF prices on clothes, and she took it off her back with the words, "I feel like I'm suppose to give you this." She knew that I liked it, for I had complimented the way it looked on her last week. I had no idea I would be wearing it as I type this.

Things are busy here. Gabriel has had one of the busiest weeks I've ever seen and I continue to stay occupied with design work. I anticipate the arrival of a good friend next Wednesday, originally from Eufala, Alabama but traveling to Switzerland from the Niger Peace Corps. He'll be a fun feller to have around for a few days.

I miss having close friends. I miss driving a car alone, windows down and the music up, spirit free. I miss the sounds of crickets and saccades, the hum of the AC clicking on in the middle of the night. I've found it to be good for the soul to miss and long for things you cannot have. What once seemed to subtle, so ordinary, becomes rather important, and its value changes, and it's good to know the value of things.

My guitar is still sitting in my bedroom in America, so I've been playing the piano more often than guitar. I enjoy the sounds of a piano so much more than when I use to take lessons. After stumbling upon a new band and really diving deep into their sound, I realized how long it had been since I actually heard a band that I liked. Every once in a while I'll hear a song that grabs me, but these guys are still holding on. They inspire me to write again, to press on through the mucky music played on the radio and remember that it's God's spirit I'm mimicking, not the world's idea of "good music". Their entire album is a beautiful journey. If my soul was a hot air balloon, music would be the propane keeping it in the sky.


No comments: