Friday, January 25, 2013

day 8: los angeles art show

I am honored to be invited as a patron guest to the 2013 Los Angeles Art Show by a fellow artist and friend living in town. I brought only one dress with me from Switzerland so I know it's my only option. Thinking back to middle school, there was a rule that our shorts and skirts had to be the same length or longer than where our fingertips reached, so I do the fingertip check while getting ready and am pleased to see my clothing choice pass the test. All seems well. Walking up the stairs to where I see the red carpet emerging, I feel completely nervous and naked although I'm completely clothed. Immediately I regret the decision to wear my dress without panty-hose. With my almost non-existent experience, I walk awkwardly out on to the red carpet and play the part as if I've done it before a thousand times.

The artwork is incredible, way too much to see in one evening, but inspiring non-the-less.  There are so many people but enough space to get around without too much personal invasion. Nothing like a Swiss grocery store on a Saturday morning, than much is certain. I soak in the place, the art, and the people as they all speak to me in a way that's hard to convey in writing. Alan, the person whose generosity is the reason I'm at the show, shares his thoughts on a few of the paintings that tap into contemportary fashion. I wonder if he's actually shopping for something to buy. The painting that stood out to me the most was an abstract piece all in black and silver that looks like a waterscape. It was fascinating, but I unfortunately didn't have tens of thousands of dollars lying around to buy it.

I guess it was just one of those nights you're glad to be alive and in high heels. I think of Gabriel and wonder what he would think about the contemporary work. I want to go home and paint afterwards, but my artistic expression is limited to what I decide to put on my Subway sandwich later in the evening before I head back home.



No comments: