Monday, February 6, 2012

i love myself and you should to

Yesterday was such a sweet day on so many levels. I wanted to write it all down, but I knew I had two choices when I got home. I could wash my face and read 10 minutes of "The Help" before my husband insist I turn off my lamp, or I could write a bit in my journal and reflect on the evening. I chose to read in hopes I would wake up with the same buzz I had after finishing such a wonderfully encouraging evening with friends. Thankfully, I did.

Last night Gabriel and I sat around the table with our small group and ate homemade pinapple and chicken curry with basmatic rice.  Twenty minutes in, I could tell either the food was too spicy or Gabriel wasn't feeling well because his cheeks were flush and his eyes were a bit glazed over. We've felt a bit under the weather the past few days, so I knew it was the later. The theme for the evening was to share with each other the good qualities we find in ourselves and then have others share what good qualities they find in us. We went from person to person doing this for about three hours. There were only around ten of us so you can imagine how much time was spent on each person. I kept thinking as I listened and saw people's eyes light up from the unexpected compliments, "this was such a good idea."

Why don't we compliment each other more? Why don't we build each other up more and it not be weird? It's definitely more of an American culture to compliment someone's outfit, singing voice, hairdo, kindness, and the list goes on. The Swiss are generally more private, and while it's not like they aren't thinking these things, they rarely ever say them. It took me a while to get use to the weird looks after I'd compliment someone because most of the time they didn't know what to say. The honest expression seemed to take them off guard so much that I felt weird afterwards.

I wonder why it can be so difficult to have someone say, "You are beautiful" and respond with a sincere "Thank you." I want to believe I am all the things people said I am, and most of the time I do, but sometimes that stupid mirror tries to lie to me or my recorded failures and memories of darker times really just steal my joy away.  I want to step out on a limb and show people more that they are important and loved and cherished because God has written it to be true.



No comments: