Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Sandwich for Swells

I changed some things so my page would resemble more of a bright-sunshining-day feel. 

And that is exactly what's going on outside now, a bright, sunshining outside day. I told Gabe the next day of sun I would go running with him. I hope he forgot about that because I don't want to run... I wanna ride my bike downhill somewhere and lay in the grass. Maybe I'll pack a picnic for dinner and take him on a secret bike-ride when he gets home from work today. Luckily, it doesn't get dark here until around 9:00 so the daylight hours linger long enough for some after-work recreation. I made the most extraordinary sandwich yesterday with pickles and tomatoes and asparagus turkey... that's right, asparagus turkey. Topped it off with lettuce, cheese, some seasoning, a sqidge of mayo, and vwa la... glorious sandwich-ness. 

I wish I could make one of these sandwiches for my friend Sarah, who is probably reading this, who seems to be having a cloudy-with-showers kind of time as of late. I want to hug her and tell her that sometimes life just sucks (or as Les would say, "straws") and that God can be sooo silent, and that it's quite normal for our Christian friends to make it worse by saying things like, "God is good," and "Just trust, trust, trust," or, "It'll get better in time," when the best advice is no advice at all.   My mother told me once that sometimes the best thing to say when someone is hurting is a simple, "I'm so sorry."

I've heard that before, out of many people's mouths or sermons... and as human beings, it makes sense. If we are beings, designed to feel empathy for other beings, why are we so quick to forget about that empathy and place ourselves in a position where we stand "wiser through experience." I am sooo guilty of this, and I know that sometimes advice is very constructive and positive, but even I must learn to shut up and just give a hug.  I wish I could hug you, my heart of hearts.  (By the way, I don't know how many people read this blog, but I think it's most of the time narrowed down to a few Well's family members and my own mother, so no worries about exploitation.) 

I guess the worst thing we could do it not pray for you. And I'm not about to let that happen.

I'm going to go make a sandwich and think of you.

3 comments:

PK said...

rachel, you are so sweet. i do really appreciate yours and gabriel's prayers- i know they work.

i do have to remind myself that we are not without food or an apartment or a car. thankfully, God has us in a neutral place and their are no emergencies. i have applied many places and i hope to see something return.

just standing by the trees, waiting for them to bloom...with a sandwich in my hand and a hug on my shoulders.

PK said...

oops, that was sarah...i didn't know i was logged into pk's name. :P

Anonymous said...

That is some of your best writing Rachel. What you said was sweet as well as true, It even made me want to eat a sandwich!
Love you,
Mom